Friday, October 23, 2009

Moving Servers

So after some discussion with my better half, we've decided to move servers. This post will be dedicated to to what one ought to consider prior to their move.

First, consolidate bag space! You can't take that 6 slot guild bank with you, so that means you've got to break things down into smaller, stack sized units. For me this meant breaking Nethwerweave Cloth into bolts, and Herbs into pigments (then Inks).

Second, make sure all of the items from your guild bank(s) fit onto the characters you plan to transfer with. If this is a paid transfer, fitting every inch that you can onto your pending-transfer characters is important. If you find that after consolidating you have space left - it is important you read the next step.

Do your research! Sometimes you will be lucky enough to move to a new island paradise with VERY little competition, and high prices. Be sure to compare the cost of specific items from your current server with the intended server, and buy up everything profitable that you can to fill up that bag space!

My Shopping List:
Frostweave / Netherweave Cloth
King's Amber
Cardinal Ruby
Eternal Fire / Earth / Life
Saronite Ore / Titanium Ore
Titansteel Bars
Eternal Belt Buckles
Frost Lotus
Adder's Tongue / Icethorn / Lichbloom
Flask of Endless Rage / the Frost Wyrm
Darkmoon Card: Greatness / Noble's Deck

Thus far, the profits from a few of these items are very meager in what they would net me when I transfer. There has only been one item that seems like a good buy for me right now, being Eternal Belt Buckles. I have bought these up at 50g each on my current server - as they sell for 100g each on the server I will be moving to. Sadly I was only able to grab 40 of these little buggers... but I will be keeping my eye on them over the weekend to see if I can snag more at a decent price - and to make sure they don't crash on my intended server.

Lastly, once you've cleared out your guild bank (6 slot in my case) - SELL THE GUILD BANK! This can be kind of tough to do, but it costs 9,350g to get 6 slots, and nobody spends that kind of money on a Guild Bank on a whim! So, ANY money you can get back for it is well worth getting!

Check back Sunday to see how my progress is coming along with the move, and whether I've discovered any new goodies to poach for my transfer :)

~ GG

P.S. feel free to comment on some items that YOU would look at prior to a server transfer. I'd love to see what you all come up with, and maybe give them a whirl!

3 comments:

  1. I would consider checking out Spellweave (and maybe ebonweave/moonshroud) as the Crusader Orb and Runed Orb craftables use them. I wouldn't bother with the orbs themselves unless there is a clear difference, as they are likely to drop in price a lot (every few days they seem to be another 50g cheaper on my realm). And given the fact that the 3.3 craftables are likely to use them as well, they should at least hold their value if not go up in value.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ben! I also forgot to check Abyss Crystals hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. also, don't know the amount of gold you're trying to get moved, but you can only move 20,000 gold liquid. so if you have A LOT of gold to move, you'll need to count your bag slots and come up with a gold/slot value that you'll have to get into your bags.

    if you're not looking only to profit, but also to ensure your level of gold doesn't lose value and you need to get alot of gold into each slot - look at the pet market, or even the chopper market. the chopper has 12,500 gold in vendor locked-in prices.

    it all depends on the numbers you're talking about moving over. but don't lock yourself into stacks and stacks of something that you hope holds [or goes up] value. you might be able to get it done in 4 slots with 4 choppers. a heckuva lot less stress to not worry about compiling bags and bags of stuff at varying values.

    ReplyDelete